10 June, 2008

Goodbye goodbyes, hello hellos

This may be my last chance to post for several weeks (I've officially been prepared for worst-case scenario). So, from my Philadelphia hotel staging, I will try to briefly cover everything that's been going on...

Packing: I don't even want to talk about this. I am trying to push it far far out of my mind. I may have done an okay job, or I may have done horribly. I'm really not sure and I won't be sure until I arrive. All I know is that I'm not looking forward to being responsible for all of my luggage at once. For those of you who knew me with "the house/la maison" on my back, you ain't seen nothin'.

Goodbyes: They were difficult and plentiful. They consisted of lifelong friends...and family...and newly formed relationships...and colleagues/coworkers. Although I am saddened, to put it mildly, I am also extremely grateful to have so many amazing people to miss. And missing you is exactly what I am doing. At the risk of sounding cold and without a soul, I am glad they are over.

Hellos: These may seem exciting and all-together cheerful, which they were, but not without their own element of discomfort. Present were the always awkward "ice-breakers," the team-building exercises, and the sharing of feelings. All-in-all, I am excited to get to know my fellow trainees and learn from each and every one of their unique sets of experiences.

Staging: Pre-departure orientation went pretty well. We had wonderful trainers who, despite the often dry content, managed to keep things quite entertaining. There is already a seemingly strong network of support evident among my peers and the Peace Corps organization in general.

So tomorrow I will set off for JFK with 25 other future EFL teachers. We will have a brief stop (not even allowed off the plane) in Dakar before reaching Johannesburg. There we will set up camp for one night before leaving for Tana on Thursday. By Friday night, I will be completely immersed in my host family's culture and lifestyle. I'll let you know how the next phase works out. Until then...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pregnancy hormones must be getting to me, as I sit here crying reading your blog!! I am so excited for you, and wish I had half of the courage you do. I wish you nothing but the best on your journey! Love, Jenny

Anonymous said...

Hi Bethy!!!! I loved reading your blog. I am sooooo happy that staging is going well. I think about you often and will get a letter in the mail very soon. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care and be safe. Love you, Molly

Anonymous said...

FYI to everybody: letters are only 94 cents to send. maybe less if you don't have construction paper in them.

Anonymous said...

Beth-glad to hear everything's going well so far! ask around and find out the best ways to send cd's and other care packages so that they will surely get to you!
Love and miss (and are SUPER excited for) you!
Jeff & Carrie

Anonymous said...

Hi, Toft! We miss you so much already! Can't wait to see how much this site will fill up with your amazing stories. XOXO Lis

Tanya said...

Hey Beth! Can't wait to hear the next installment. I hope you are enjoying getting settled into your new life!

Unknown said...

Hope you have been enjoying your first days. Hard to forget those first moments when you feel like, "Where am I?" in an amazingly wonderful way.

Good luck and can't wait to hear what you think of the red island.

Take care,
Maren

JPB said...

Hi Beth!
Thinking of you often, and hope you are doing well! It was great seeing you before you left- baby Jack is already three months old!!! Time flies, and I hope you are enjoying every minute :)
Aimites,
Amy (Saur) Budion, Patrick and Jack

JPB said...

P.S. Love the pic of the Baobab trees!!!! -Aim

steetoa said...

Hey Beth:

I was chatting with my mom today and she mentioned that you just started your Peace Corps service in Madagascar - wonderful!

I know your internet access is probably spotty at best, but if you can email me your new mailing address at your site I'd love to get a care package out to you. I remember how boring it can be and how fabulous mail/packages are in "the Corps". :)

Also, I got to travel to Madagascar a handful of times for my last job and I loved it there! I spent some time in Tana (of course), in/around Ft Dauphin, and up on Nosy Be.

Enjoy your time with the malagasies and send your address!

Becca Mischel
steetoa@gmail.com